August 19, 2014
There are probably no factors more important to successful school progress than regular and punctual school attendance.† Students who are tardy or absent excessively from the instructional program will fall behind in academic achievement.† In accordance with Miami-Dade County Public School Board Rule 6Gx13-5A-1.04, Kendale Elementary School has established the following Student Tardy Policy.†
Tardiness is the absence of a student in the classroom at the time the regularly scheduled session begins (when the bell rings), provided that the student is in attendance before the close of the session.† It is a reasonable expectation that in order for a learning activity to exist, each student must arrive to class on time (punctually).† A student, who is tardy to class, not only places his/her own learning in jeopardy, but also interrupts the learning of other students.† Excused tardiness may not impact a studentís academic grade.† Reasons for excused tardiness include: a) student illness; b) medical appointment (doctorís note is required for proof); c) death in family; d) observance of a religious holiday or service when it is mandated for all members of a faith that such a holiday or service be observed; e) previously approved school-sponsored event; f) other individual student tardiness beyond the control of the parent or student as determined and approved by the principal.† Unexcused tardiness includes any tardiness that does not fall into one of the previous excused tardiness categories.It is the parentís responsibility to explain in writing any tardiness to school.† Failure to provide a written explanation will automatically be considered unexcused tardiness.† The following steps will be followed should students be tardy to school for unexcused reasons.
- †1st tardy†††††††††Warning Issued
- †2nd tardy††††††††Warning Issued
- †3rd tardy††††††††Teacher will contact parent
- †4th tardy†††††††† Letter will be sent to the parent; Students with perfect attendance and more than three tardies will not be recognized at the Honor Assemblies
- †5th tardy†††††††††Parent is required to contact the school and come in for a mandatory conference with the principal or designee
- †6th tardy†††††††††Studentís ability to participate in extracurricular activities such as chorus, Safety Patrols, etc., may be affected
- 7th tardy††††††††† School social worker will be sent to the home
- 8th tardy††††††††† Studentís conduct and/or effort grade(s) may be lowered in the subject(s)†missed; Studentís on out-of-area transfers will be returned to their home school.††††As part of our schoolwide Positive People Program, students are rewarded when the children in the class arrive to school on time.† Bonus points are given when 100% of the class is present and arrives on time.It is important that you have your child to school on time daily so that we may teach him/her.† We know that you will support us in our efforts.† Should you have any further questions, concerning this policy that is mandated by School Board Rule, feel free to contact our Assistant Principal, our counselor, your childís teacher or myself.† Please sign and return the attached form with your child.† As always, thank you for your support.
Sincerely,Reginald Fox, Principal